October 19, 2017, 02:24:04 PM

Author Topic: SkateFarm (Eddy Matzger) - Skate Instruction Resource  (Read 814 times)

DangerMan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SkateFarm (Eddy Matzger) - Skate Instruction Resource
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »
It's hard to sum up Eddy Matzger without referring to him as a guru.  He teaches basics as they are applied to all levels of skaters. So to attend his "Skate Farm" (Not a real farm but where he affectionately says he 'grows skaters') is not something you can just call a beginner course. You should be able to actually get about on your skates, but frankly you could go there with very little skill because the resources are there to make sure you grow at your own pace - along side other more advanced skaters.

Let me speak from experience. I've been to the  "Skate Farm" http://skatefarmvirginia.weebly.com/.

While Eddy Matzger is a speed skater, his roots and love is about helping 'beginners' become regulars and advanced skaters.  He is a laid back soul that you can actually spend time with and meet!  He has a home in Virginia that he has up to 12 visitors at a time spend three (3) to five (5) days at his home. 

Where in Virginia? It is very much the deep south near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Floyd Virginia is very near the Tennessee and North Carolina Border. You can fly in to Raleigh and drive from there, or just drive to his place. I won't quote prices, his may change but think a few hundred bucks. That includes lodging, learning and food. You'll make new skate friends too of course.

Each day he spends the morning teaching you at a low key location where everyone can just be themselves and learn at their own pace. The afternoons are for skating through the country roads of Virginia. The evenings are yours but the groups that hang out at the Skate Farm often visit the local town or wineries etc...

He and his wife will cook lunch and dinner too.  Eddy takes pictures and video and sends you home with what he captures.

I encourage you to check it out. If you have questions about what else you can expect or plan for, post a question and I'll do my best to answer. Oh... as well as others who have also made the pilgrimage.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:52:41 PM by DangerMan »